If you suspect that there is a minor leak in your house or if you can see that a pipe has visibly broken, the first thing that you will need to do is call an emergency plumping service to come to your house immediately. A leaking pipe is more than just a minor inconvenience as it can be severely dangerous to your family if the water or the wetness spreads along the walls of your home. You may not always be able to identify the exact location of the leak and therefore it is important that you turn off all the electricity in your home by switching off the mains. In addition to calling a plumper, you will also want to call an electrician because there could easily be an electricity leak caused by the wet walls.
Hire the needed equipment
Even the emergency plumber will not be able to come to your home immediately and it is important that you use this time that you are waiting to hire all the equipment that will be needed to identify the leak. In fact, if you visit your local hardware store, you might even find a pipe and cable locator for sale at an affordable cost. It is always a good idea to buy the pipe and cable locator for sale because you can never predict when you are going to need it in the future. The sad truth is that water leaks and electrical leaks are very common in most households and an instrument like this will be sure to come in handy at the most unpredicted time.
In the meantime, if you can identify the area of the leak, it is important for you to use old cloth to try to stop the leak as much as possible. If you are aware of where your water mains are the first thing you will need to do is shut down the water supply to your house but if you cannot locate your water mains, the important thing is to make sure that the water does not spread around your house or flood your house. If a flood has already begun, it is vital that you use a mop and clear up all the water because a wet floor can add to the danger and can seep in to your walls. It is vital that you do not take a leaking water pipe situation lightly because it can cause your entire home to become an electrical conductor which is a safety risk.